I finally found the time to move my old, self-hosted, spam-infested Wiki on using alternative operating systems with The Open University (used to be at open.homelinux.org) to Wikia.
Behold Open Open University Wiki.
It looks a bit crappy (Wikia’s templates aren’t that good and I personally drew the logo), but it covers all applications used in the courses required for my BSc (Hons) Computing. In fact, I only ever needed Windows for a single course: MST121 – I was unable to make MathCAD run.
Although I’ll finish my studies in a few weeks, I will try and continue to help students get stuff to work. Let’s open the OU for everyone!
My website has been a lame to be replaced soon ASCII file for a couple of years now. Today, I’m finally relaunching my old design, although with much less content than there used to be.
I might re-add a list of my projects at some point in the future, but since I constantly refused to update it in the past, it might be more convenient to refrain from that.
This time I fooled around with CMS systems instead of using mod_include. The HTML and CSS were already there so all I needed was a real simple system that allowed me to organise that using a web interface, nothing fancy.
I was initially very happy with Radiant, but keeping the Rails environment up and running proved difficult, so I was looking for a similar PHP based solution and found Textpattern, which is what I ended up using.